Friday, January 29, 2016

Valentine's Day Heart Canvas

Valentine's Day is not something I typically go all-out decorating for.  I love all the cute bright red and pink decor you see in the stores, so I don't know why I tend to skip over "Love Day".  Perhaps it's just that by the time I finally get cleaned up from Christmas (usually in mid-January), the idea of decking my house out in more holiday decor seems...exhausting.

That's why I like this super-easy heart canvas I made last year with some girlfriends at a craft night.  It was easy to make, pretty cheap, and can be easily added into my every day decor for a little Valentine festivity without a full decorating overhaul.

So what do you need?  

-A canvas (your choice of size). I believe this one is 11x13.  I bought it in a two pack at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.  
-Red burlap.
-Red buttons of various sizes.  (JoAnn's might be your best bet...or online somewhere.)
-Hot Glue/Hot glue gun
-Painter's Tape
-Paint color of your choice. (I think gold would be cool.)

So it's really pretty simple:

1. Paint your stripes.  Use painter's tape and a ruler to create straight lines.  Tape the whole thing, then paint.

2. Let the paint dry--it doesn't take long. 

3. While the paint is drying, draw your heart shape onto some burlap.  You can do the whole fold-it-in-half-and-cut-half-a-heart trick to make it nice and even.

4. Once the paint has dried, glue on your burlap.

5. Hot-glue the buttons onto the burlap in a random pattern.  I found that it helped to kind of arrange them onto the burlap before I glued. 

Voila!  Seriously about the easiest little project you could do.  There are a lot of other things you could do with this same concept in mind: An easter egg or bunny silhouette at Easter, an American flag for the Fourth of July, a pumpkin or ghost for Halloween, a fall leaf for Autumn, etc, etc.  I have been debating what to do with my extra canvas, and I can't decide!  

Email me at contact.craftrookie@gmail.com or comment below with questions. 

Happy Crafting!

No comments: