Saturday, September 21, 2013

Peanut Butter Bars

Every other Thursday some friends and I get together and play Bunco.  We always bring treats to share.  I was going through my Pinterest files to find something to do, and came across a picture of some Peanut Butter Bars.  My mother-in-law makes an awesome Peanut Butter bar recipe, and she always makes them whenever we go home for Christmas just for me (so nice, right?!?!)  Anyway, so between her recipe for these, and this one I found online, I made these beauties.  When my husband came home and asked what they were, I told him they were his mom's peanut butter bars...on Steroids.  He agreed. :)  

Peanut Butter Bars 

Ingredients: 
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
3/4 c butter
1 egg
3/4 c peanut butter (I used crunchy and it was awesome.)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt (I don't own a 1/3 tsp. Do you??  I just guessed.)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
Set aside an additional cup of Peanut Butter.
You also need a package of milk chocolate chips (trust me--not semi sweet, it overdoes it) for the top layer.

1.
Mix all the ingredients together, then spread the "batter" onto a regular-sized cookie sheet pan.  (I'm sure a 9x13 pan would also work, it would just make them thicker.)  You don't need to worry about spraying or greasing/flouring the pan.  There's enough oils in the mixture that they come out great without it.

2.
Pop them in the oven for ten minutes or so at 350 degrees.  I ended up leaving mine in for more like 13 minutes, but you need to watch them closely so they don't overcook or they will dry out.

3.
When you have them out of the oven, let them cool for about 5 minutes.  While they are cooling, whip the cup of Peanut Butter you set aside with an electric mixer so that it's nice and creamy.  Then spread it over the layer of cookie.  Use a butter knife to do this--if you use a spatula, it will rip up the still-cooling cookie.  You need a gentle touch and not a lot of force.

4.
Once the peanut butter has had a few minutes to set up, melt your package of chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so until they are melted.  (I think it took me about a minute and a half or so.)  Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top and then allow it to cool.  (If you are in a hurry, you can stick them in the fridge to speed up the process.)

Voila!  You are done and ready to take them to Bunco Night (or whatever).  Ironically, about three other ladies brought Peanut Butter Bar-type treats, so we all basically ate ourselves sick on the stuff.

 Oh well.  Totally worth it. 

1 comment:

JustHeather said...

Oh My Yumminess!! I have to go to the store, right now (seriously, I'm bundling the kid up as soon as I post this comment), to get me some more PB and then I am making these! I will also share the recipe with a couple of well deserving friends. ;) Thank you for the recipe!