Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bow Holder Tutorial

I apologize for my severe lack of blog posts the past few weeks--and especially for my lack of tutorials. :) Well, here's one of the things I've been working on. My little sister is in beauty school, and she has short-ish hair, but likes to wear headbands, flowers, etc. to jazz up her look. So I made her flower clips and a bow holder to hang them on for her Christmas gift.

I used this old chess board that I found at the D.I. for a couple of bucks as my base for the bow holder.I mod podged black-and-white checked paper onto the front and painted the frame with blue toll paint. Then I chose some coordinating ribbon for the bows to attach to. (Chicken wire is a great option for bow hangers--but good luck finding any! All the hardware stores I went to only sold chicken wire by the roll-and I wasn't paying $30.00 for a roll of chicken wire when I only needed 2 feet of it.)
I flipped the frame upside-down and used my trusty staple gun to attach the ribbon securely.
As you know, I'm not a measurer. I prefer to just eyeball things (mostly because I'm lazy). So I didn't measure where I was putting my ribbon, I just stapled it where I thought it looked about even.
I put a few staples in each ribbon just to keep it tight and folded the end of the ribbon underneath so it wouldn't have frayed pieces poking out as badly.
I decided to put the ribbon in a checkered pattern. You could also do it diagnally, or just in stripes. I'm glad I did the checked look though, because I think the bows won't slide down the ribbon as badly as if I just had straight lines.
Then attach your flowers
And hang it on the wall (or wrap it up to give as a gift like this one will be).
Let me know what you think--and if you have questions.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Just found your blog and I'm loving that bow holder! Great job! LOVE LOVE LOVE it, just one question...where do you find those big flowers?

Tricia said...

What a cute idea...I like it even as a piece of art.

Crystal said...

Very cute! I never would have thought to use an old board game for the back.