Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Table Runner Tutorial

I finally got my table runner done! I don't know why it took me so long...it wasn't hard. I guess I've just been busy trying to do a million things at once.

Anyway, here's the tutorial.
First of all, choose your fabric. I chose turquoise and brown. Then lay it out the way you plan to sew it together. If you want to, you can measure everything, but I just eyeballed (as usual).
Sew the pieces for the top all together. If you want special instructions on this portion, click HERE.Now iron the seams down flat, and then pin the sides so they are straight.
Now lay the other piece beneath it, leaving plenty of room on the sides to fold them over.
Now fold the sides over.
Now tuck it under.
Now pin the sides.
Now stitch up the sides.
You could stop here. I almost did... But then I decided it needed something else. Ruffles! I cut strips of fabric (not measured, just random...)
Then I stitched up the sides of each of the strips.
Next I pinned them onto the edges. I just pinned them randomly so that they looked all fluffy and ruffley.
Then I just stitched it up the middle of the pinned ruffle, taking the pins out as I went.
I did this all the way along both sides. :)
Well, what do you think?

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Very cute. I love the colors.
-Crystal

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had your new table up. Do you like it? Cute table runner--did you know you were actually adopted? Martha Stewart was your mother, but she was too busy making her millions to raise you, so I did it for her--but now I'm just going to have to give you back to her--the family connection can no longer be hidden.

Rockie said...

This looks really great and didn't look too hard either. and i love the blue brown look! Great Job!

Renee said...

Love the table runner, too cute. Love the comment abpve, from Mom (anon)even more!! I bet her great sense of humor is more beneficial than the "crafty" genes from Martha...Thanks for the idea (and the giggle)! :)