Friday, September 11, 2009

Burrito in a Skillet

 
I decided to give this recipe a try last night. I have EXTREMELY limited cooking skills, and it looked fairly simple, which is right up my ally....
So what is the final word on this dish?
Well....it tasted like a mix between a taco, a burrito, and an enchilada...and I'm always up for some Mexican food, so I give it a....
Fast and Easy, tasty, not-too-fattening, and a crowd-pleaser (well, we're not really a "crowd," but my husband and I chowed it all down. :))

So anyway, here's the recipe:

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 35 min
Makes: 4 servings, 1-1/2 cups each

What You Need!
*1 lb. lean ground beef
*1 pkg. (1-1/4 oz.) Taco Seasoning Mix
*1 can (19 oz.) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
*1 cup salsa
*1 cup water
*4 flour tortillas (6 inch), cut into 1-1/2-inch squares
*1 cup shredded cheese
*1/3 cup sour cream
*1/3 cup chopped green onions (about 1 large)

BROWN meat in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat; drain.

seasoning mix, beans, salsa and water; stir. Bring to boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 5 min.

in tortillas; top with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 min. or until cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and onions.

At first I was a little hesitant to put the tortillas in (I'm kind of a picky eater...and I was worry about them being soggy...) but I decided what the heck? and tossed them in. I'm glad I did! They were great (they go kind of soft like enchilada tortillas, but not soggy at all. :) YUM!

The other great thing about this recipe is that it's actually not all that fattening....

I used 96/4 super-lean ground beef, and that's the only really fattening part (besides the cheese...)

But other than that it's just salsa, kidney beans, and tortillas basically and none of those things are THAT bad for you in moderation. So it was nice to eat to my heart's content and not feel like a total fatty.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am glad you enjoyed the recipe! Your projects are so cute! Keep up all the good work!

Sarah
pocketbookpearls.blogspot.com